Today is your first birthday. I remember the day you were born so clearly that it’s shocking that an entire year has passed. You are changing every day and for that I am thankful. I am ready for kisses, words and fewer nighttime feedings. Right now you refuse to sit still for a moment, you want everything you shouldn’t have. You have a taste for plain Greek yogurt but aren’t too keen on spoons.
Yes, I look forward to seeing you grow out of some things, but there are other things I hope you’ll never grow out of:
- Greeting the day with a smile (you clearly got that from your dad).
- Bringing joy to strangers. People delight in you, my dear girl, don’t ever stop lighting up a room.
- Yawping loudly when you feel an injustice has been done.
- Plowing fearlessly into the unknown.
- Knowing when it’s time to check in with home base, even when I’m not home base anymore.
You are a joy and a wonder. Your dad and I are amazed every day that we are so lucky to have you in our lives. I can’t wait to see what you’ll do next.